Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death worldwide in both men and women, with an estimated 17.9 million deaths each year, corresponding to 31% of all deaths, mainly from heart attacks and strokes. Reducing mortality from cardiovascular disease requires action at several levels and prevention is a crucial strategy. Promoting policies that can have a positive impact on improving the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of cardiovascular disease would result in an improvement in the patient’s quality of life and, in the medium and long term, in a significant reduction in health costs. Today, the management of patients at high cardiovascular risk represents an integrated working model among specialists where the exchange of information is fundamental to optimize therapeutic results and make rational and targeted use of available resources.
Hence the strategic importance of a multi-center approach established by the CARDIOLOGY NETWORK, the largest Italian research network in the cardiovascular field. The Network was promoted by the Ministry of Health and established in 2017 to foster cooperation between recognized Italian Research Hospitals (Istituti di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, IRCCS) working within the cardiovascular field (public and/or private law) through the creation of a network of information and collaboration. The mission of the CARDIOLOGY NETWORK is to facilitate and promote scientific and technological research in the field of cardiovascular diseases and related risk factors in order to improve diagnosis, treatment and care. The objectives that the Network aims to pursue are:
- Promoting scientific and technological research in the field of cardiovascular diseases and related risk factors
- Supporting the creation of common experimental and clinical research platforms
- Promoting the optimization of care and its harmonization
- Supporting training also through the definition of new career paths
Priority areas for action
In order to achieve its mission in the cardiology field, the Cardiology Network carries out several activities:
- promotes and enhances scientific research in the cardiovascular field through the coordination of studies and research that can significantly contribute to the development of technology and knowledge;
- fosters international cooperation with research organizations through the implementation of joint projects and intervention strategies;
- identifies industrial partners interested in the implementation of research activities aimed at patient care, assistance and rehabilitation;
- identifies calls for proposals and funding opportunities, public and private, for the financing of all its activities;
- supports training activities aimed at fostering the dissemination of knowledge and increasing awareness and exploitation of all areas related to cardiovascular disease by collaborating with experts in different fields of interest;
- encourages debate within the scientific community through the organisation of round tables, conferences, studies, events, cultural itineraries, publications, competitions and anything else necessary to promote the study of cardiovascular disease and associated risk factors;
- raises the awareness of the public opinion and local, regional, national and international public bodies, with any event and any means of information, to defend their health from cardiovascular diseases and the importance of prevention.